If you’re looking for a spin on classic cornbread, I’ve got you covered. Sweet potato cornbread will do the job, and the addition of a smooth maple bourbon butter will definitely take it up a notch.
The sweet potato cornbread is spiced up with a little bit of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg. Also, the sweet potato and maple syrup combo is a match made in heaven. And of course, carbs are the best thing ever. Put all of this together, and you’ve got the perfect side dish for the holiday season!
Super simple to put together, you’ll probably never make the boxed stuff again. No shade the boxed cornbread companies, but cornbread truly is that easy to put together. Mix your dry ingredients separately from your wet ingredients, then gently mix it together to combine. Pour the batter into a hot cast iron skillet to bake and get those nice toasty edges.
While the cornbread is baking, whip together the butter (which is just 3 ingredients) and slather it on the finished cornbread when it’s finished. The bourbon in this can be omitted and replaced with more maple syrup if preferred. But even if you aren’t a bourbon fan, you’ll love it in butter form. (I used the butter on pancakes one day….ssssshhhhhh.)
If you want to take a short cut, instead of using fresh sweet potatoes, you can use baby food! Yes, I said baby food. If you look at the ingredients, it’s just the veggie and water. If you go this route, you will need to omit a half cup of the buttermilk so that your cornbread batter isn’t too thin.
I hope you all get a chance to make this deliciousness! Be sure to check out my website for more easy recipes at www.theskinnifoodwhore.com. Enjoy!
- Sweet Potato Cornbread:
- 8 ounce sweet potato
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground cornmeal
- 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp melted butter
Bourbon Maple Butter:
- 4 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tbsp bourbon
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a cast iron skillet in the oven while it is preheating.
2. With a fork, poke holes into the sweet potato on all sides, a total of 10 times. Microwave on a plate on high for 5 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking. Let the sweet potato sit for 3 minutes before cutting it in half. Remove the skin. Mash the cooked potato with a fork and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix sugar, flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg with a large whisk, making sure all the dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed together. Set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sweet potato baby food, mayonnaise, and vanilla.
5. Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients. Gently mix the ingredients with a wooden spoon or plastic spatula. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl so all of the dry ingredients have been mixed in.
6. Once the oven is set to the correct temperature, remove the cast iron from the oven. Spread the melted butter into the cast iron, then pour in the cornbread mixture. Spread the cornbread mixture evenly in the pan with a spoon or spatula.
7. Bake for 25-28 minutes, or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cornbread.
8. Let the cornbread rest for 5 minutes before serving. Cut and serve with maple bourbon butter!
Bourbon Maple Butter:
1. Place the room temperature butter into a small bowl. With an electric hand mixer, whip the butter in high for 30 seconds, or until smooth.
2. While the mixer is still on, slowly pour in the maple syrup, then the bourbon. Continue whisking on high for 30 more seconds.
3. Can be used immediately, or stored in an airtight container in the fridge.