This ground chicken skillet lasagna is not only the perfect, easy weeknight meal but t’s like a warm, big hug you need on a cold day.
Day 3 of 6 Back-to-school dinner inspiration
Ground chicken gets a bad rep because I think people don’t realize how versatile it is. When I say people, I’m talking about me…I’m people lol I usually buy ground chicken with great intentions but I never know what to do with it. I decided to make a lasagna skillet with the ground chicken and throw in some spinach and jar alfredo. It was the most humble yet delicious dinner that we had that week. Often times when you throw something together for dinner without a plan you just hope for the best and pray that the outcome is good–in this case, it worked out in my favor, so much so that I had to share it with you all. If you’re looking for an easy, no-fuss dinner that the kids will love and the entire family will enjoy you have to put this ground chicken skillet lasagna on your list.
Ingredients for my ground chicken skillet lasagna:
Red pepper flakes
Mixed cheddar cheese blend
Tools you’ll need:
Can I freeze this meal?
Yes, you can freeze this meal and reheat it in the oven once ready to enjoy.
What can I use to substitute the ground chicken?
You can use regular ground beef or if you want to use ground turkey you can as well. For vegetarians, you can add more vegetables into the mix with spinach.
More recipes to try:
Ground Chicken Skillet Lasagna
- 1 lb Ground chicken
- 8-10 no boil lasagna noodles broken into 4th's
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 Store bought jar of alfredo plus more to taste if you like it creamier
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Mixed cheddar cheese blend ie. Mexican cheese blend
- Olive oil for sauteing
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- In a medium cast-iron skillet, add olive oil on medium heat and sautee ground chicken with onions for about two minutes stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the ground chicken into smaller pieces
- Once the chicken starts to brown, season with salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, red pepper flakes, garlic powder and onion powder
- Continue to mix the chicken so everything is well incorporated.After about 10 minutes the onions should be translucent and the ground chicken will start to brown in certain parts, at this point add the alfredo sauce and stir well
- Break up the lasagna noodles into 4ths and add them into the skillet with the sauce, ensuring they are well spread out and just laying on top of each other. You want to partially cook the lasagna noodles in the sauce before topping with cheese and putting in the oven
- Allow the sauce to simmer with the noodles for about 5 minutes. Once the noodles are al dente add spinach and allow it to whilt. Once spinach has whilted add shredded cheese on top and bake for about 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven once the cheese has melted. Skillet lasagna is done when the noodles are cooked all the way through and fork-tender. The sauce will be thicken up as well
- Allow the dish to cool and set for about 10-15 minutes before serving