This broccoli cheddar chicken orzo dish has everything you love about broccoli cheddar soup plus a little bit more. The tender pieces of orzo melt in your mouth and the chicken is the perfect addition to the meal.
Day 6 of 6 Back-to-school dinner inspiration
One of my favorite soups from Panera Bread is broccoli cheddar. It’s so creamy, comforting, and delicious. I enjoy this soup year-round and decided to try to replicate it in a different format. When kids are getting back to school, dinner is the last thing you want to work really hard on. You want something easy, quick, and delicious. One-pot meals are my favorites and I try to figure out how to create them frequently to save time in the kitchen. This one-pot broccoli cheddar chicken and orzo dish is the perfect one-pot weeknight meal. I found that the orzo was more filling than rice and gave the dish a great, creamy consistency. I’m always looking for fun ways to use orzo and this was a creative way that kids will love. You can leave this meatless if you like, but the chicken was the perfect addition to pack on the protein. The broccoli is a great way to get some extra nutrition in dinner and I don’t think kids will even notice because of the delicious cheddar cheese that’s added.
Ingredients for my broccoli cheddar chicken orzo:
Thinly sliced chicken breast
Brown Girl Spice Herb de provence
Cream of chicken soup
Mild to sharp cheddar cheese
Tools you’ll need:
Can I freeze this meal?
Yes, you can freeze this meal in large ziplock bags and reheat it in the microwave once ready to enjoy.
What can I use to substitute the orzo?
You can use white rice to replace the orzo. It won’t be a pasta-like consistency but the rice will cook up great in the cream of chicken soup and have great flavor.
Can I substitute the chicken?
Yes, you can use no meat to make it vegetarian or you can add in your favorite protein. Just ensure you cook it prior, chop it up, and then add it at the end to incorporate it into the dish. Think about what pairs well with cheddar cheese since that’s a main component of the dish.
Broccoli cheddar chicken orzo:
- 4 Thinly sliced chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cup Orzo
- 1 can Cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups Broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 cup Mild to sharp cheddar cheese plus more to taste
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Brown Girl Spice Herb de provence
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- In a bowl, season chicken with salt, pepper, paprika, herb de provence and set aside
- In a hot skillet on medium- high heat, drizzle with olive oil and add butter and sear chicken breast on each side for 3 minutes
- Once chicken is brown on each side, remove from pan, chop in bite size pieces and set aside
- Turn heat down to medium and add orzo to the pan, use your spoon to mix the orzo together with the chicken rendered fat in the pan
- Add cream of chicken soup plus water and whisk together well until there are no more lumps visible
- Allow orzo to cook in ceam sauce for 5 minutes
- Next add broccli ,cheese and chicken with a splash more water if needed and allow everything to come together for another 5 minutes. Be sure to stir well to ensure the orzo is not sticking to the bottom of the pan
- After ten minutes, orzo should be tender and broccli should be soft, top with more cheese if desired and serve hot
More recipes to try:
Cheese and pork stuffed shells
Hi, I would really like to make this but when I click on the ingredient ‘Brown Girl Spice Herb de provence’, it says the page isn’t available. Can you please tell me what to substitute for this ??
Thank you so much. This recipe sounds delicious.
Sorry, it’s currently sold out and not returning. You can use any herb de provence, sold locally in your grocery store as well. Italian seasoning works too!
It was good. I used fresh garlic to sauté the chicken and added a half chopped onion . It did take about a cup more water . I used chicken broth for more flavor.