Chicken fajitas are so fun to order out–aren’t they? They come sizzling in a cast-iron skillet and they always smell so good coming down the restaurant aisle, you can thank the bell peppers and onions for that. Nine times out of ten people break their necks to see what the waiter is carrying and it’s usually fajitas.
I challenged myself to use chicken breasts a little differently a few weeks ago and came up with these chicken fajitas. Instead of paying extra money at the grocery store and buying chicken strips just buy a family pack of large chicken breasts and thinly slice it up yourself. You’ll save time and money plus have plenty of leftovers to use the chicken breast another time.
You can enjoy these chicken fajitas traditionally with some flour tortillas and all the toppings or you can serve it as a bowl with some rice and they are equally delicious. I recommend yellow rice or Spanish rice to keep things super flavorful. Weeknight meals can get so mundane but switching things up with these chicken fajitas will leave everyone at the dinner table wanting more. You can even make a side of sauteed shrimp and have chicken and shrimp fajitas–the options are endless.
My husband even used the leftover chicken on a salad later on in the week for lunch. This is the perfect dish for meal prep because it has a few different uses. I love having something like this in the back of the refrigerator for those lazy uber eats nights where you just don’t know what to eat. You can always heat up these chicken fajitas and have a flavorful and satisfying dinner.
If you make this dish be sure to tag me at @asiliglamcooks on Instagram so that I can re-post.
Easy Chicken Fajitas
- 2 large chicken breasts thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 white onion sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp of olive oil divided
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 lime optional
- Thinly slice chicken breasts and put in a bowl
- Season chicken breast, drizzle with olive oil and mix well
- Chop onions and bell peppers and set aside
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium high heat and melt butter
- Add chicken and saute for 2 minutes
- Turn heat to medium and add bell peppers, onion and garlic
- Season peppers and onion with salt and pepper and mix well to combine with chicken
- Use a tight fitting lid to cover the skillet and allow chicken to cook on medium heat for 5 minutes
- Chicken will begin to make it's own liquid, at this point add the ketchup and stir well
- Once chicken is tender, after about ten – twelve minutes total cooking, turn off the stove and serve warm
P.S. check out my last post here.