One-pot rice and chicken is one of my most popular recipes, there’s no surprise there because it’s flavor-packed, affordable to make, and stretches a long way.
Rice is my favorite too but hunni, the way these last few pregnancy pounds are set up I’m cutting those empty calories where I can. I’ve been OBSESSED with cauliflower rice lately and for good reason—it tastes amazing when cooked the proper way.
This one-pot creamy lemon cauliflower rice and chicken wing recipe is bomb ya’ll. It’s true what they say, eating healthier doesn’t have to be boring. With just a few simple ingredients this dish comes together in no time. I find that cauliflower rice releases a lot of water so I try to buy the frozen kind and allow it to dry out in the pan a bit before adding my additional ingredients. That helps with the texture and flavor of the rice.
Of course, adding heavy cream and parmesan is what makes the dish creamy but feel free to skip the dairy and use full-fat coconut milk to cut some additional calories as well.
One important step to remember is browning the chicken wings before baking them. Not only does this impart more flavor to the dish but it also par cooks the chicken to cut down on how long you have to bake it in the oven. Browning the chicken first is also going to give the wings that gorgeous color that you see in the photo. After all, we eat with our eyes first, make sure your presentation is on point.
Finish this dish with another sprinkle of parmesan cheese and some fresh green onions and you’re all set to serve dinner up. Everyone will be coming back for more, trust me!
If you make this dish be sure to tag me at @asiliglamcooks on Instagram so that I can re-post.
One-pot creamy lemon cauliflower rice and chicken wings
For chicken wings
- 6 pieces of whole chicken wings
- 1/2 tsp Dried rosemary
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Chicken bouillon powder
- 1/4 tsp Dried sage
- Drizzle of olive oil about a tbsp
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
For creamy lemon cauliflower rice
- 2 packs frozen cauliflower rice
- 2 large cloves of fresh garlic
- 1/2 a white onion, diced
- Juice of half a fresh lemon plus a few slices
- 1/3 cup of heavy cream or coconut milk for dairy free alternative
- Parmesan cheese to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Heat oven to 425 degress
- To a bowl, add chicken wings, drizzle with olive oil season and mix well
- Fold the chicken wings by tucking the tip under the drumette
- On medium high heat, sear chicken wings in a little olive oil in a cast iron skillet on each side until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side
- Once chicken wings are browned, remove from pan and set aside. Remove excess oil and leave about 1 tbsp in the pan
- To the pan add onions and sauté for 3 minutes until fragrant and translucent, then stir in garlc
- Add fresh lemon slices and frozen cauliflowerrice to the pan
- Stir to coat the rice with all the flavors of the pan
- Add heavy cream, parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste and mix well
- Turn off the heat and smooth the top of the cauliflower rice
- Add chicken wings back on top of the cauliflower rice and add more lemon wedges in between the chicken
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 30 minuteson 425 until chicken wings are cooked through and liquid is absored from cauliflower rice
- Remove foil for the last 5 minutes of cooking
- Top with fresh scallion to serve
P.S. check out my last post here.