I love honey bbq chicken! There’s nothing that screams welcome to summer like a delicious piece of bbq chicken fresh off the grill. However, we don’t all have grills, and honestly, even if we do have a grill, for quick dishes like this, the juice just isn’t worth the squeeze. Let’s be honest, grilling can be a lot of work!
That’s where your oven comes in! I think the oven doesn’t get enough credit for what it can really do. These oven-roasted honey bbq chicken thighs literally taste as if they came off the grill. Crispy skin on the outside and super tender and juicy on the inside. I made this for dinner on Sunday night and it came together in 30 minutes! If you’re in a pinch for dinner, try this recipe for yourself and your family, you won’t regret it!
- 4-6 organic bone-in chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp of onion powder
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp of adobo seasoning
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- Olive oil + 1 tbsp of butter for searing
- For BBQ Sauce:
- 1/4 cup of store-bought bbq sauce
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 tbsp of butter
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add chicken to a mixing bowl and rinse, clean, and remove any fat from the chicken.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and add garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, adobo, salt and pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Mix together with your hands and set aside.
- In a cast-iron skillet, add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan and butter.
- Once the pan is hot and butter is bubbling, sear chicken thighs, skin side down for 5 minutes or until chicken skin is golden brown and crispy.
- Flip chicken and sear on the flesh side for another 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, turn off the stove and create bbq sauce.
For BBQ Sauce
- In a small ramekin or microwave-safe bowl, add bbq sauce, honey, and butter.
- Microwave until butter is melted, about 30 seconds.
- Mix everything together and use a brush to spread the sauce over the chicken, leaving another coating for later.
- Put the chicken in the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, lather the chicken with the leftover bbq sauce and continue cooking for another 15 minutes.
- Chicken is done when it looks completely caramelized and has a grill like texture to the skin.
- Check internal temperature with a thermometer to ensure 165 degrees is achieved.
If you haven’t already started following me on TikTok be sure to do so. My followers got this recipe first in real-time! I like to film my recipes as I create them and if they come out any good, TikTok gets exclusive!
I made this recipe for 2 but can easily double or triple the recipe if cooking for a family or a larger group. Also don’t feel the need to only use chicken thighs with this. Any bone-in, dark meat will work beautifully. Try wings or drumsticks if that’s what you have. Try making this dish with my baked lobster mac and cheese and let me know what you think.
Check out this recipe on tiktok!