There’s nothing like a warm, cheesey maccaroni dish! To keep things healthy I made a Turkey Meat White Truffle Macaroni Casserole. This dish is easy and most importantly comforting.
The melted, gooey mozarella cheese on top is my absolute favorite. And the rich truffle oil is a nice added treat.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 small red, yellow and orange pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup finely diced mushrooms
- 1 (14.5 oz can) petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 tsp seasoning salt (like adobo)
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon of white truffle oil
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz cooked whole wheat elbows
1. In a large non-stick skillet, brown the ground turkey over high
heat until cooked through, seasoning with a pinch of salt and pepper and breaking
it up into smaller pieces as it cooks.
2. Remove turkey meat from skillet and set aside on a dish. At this point start to boil your elbows in a medium pan with salted water.
3. Add olive oil to the skillet, reduce heat to medium and add the onion,
red pepper, and mushrooms ; sauté until the vegetables soft, about 5 minutes.
4. Return the turkey to the skillet along with the remaining ingredients except for the pasta and cheese.
5. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. While simmering, heat oven to 350°F.
6. Spoon just enough of the turkey/vegetable mixture to cover the bottom of
a 9×13 pan. Cover with cooked pasta. Spoon remaining sauce mixture
evenly over the top and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese.
7. Drizzle 1 teaspooon of white truffle oil over cheese.
8. Cover with foil and bake 50. Remove foil and broil for 5 minutes to get a crispy crust.
This recipe is a modified version from skinnytaste.com