Spicy Chicken Sausage Stew is a savory mixture of potatoes, kale, and spices that’s the perfect seasonal meal for those cool, fall nights.
This recipe is a part of a holiday recipe roundup collaboration hosted by me, Natasha of @asiliglamcooks. For this week we are focusing on the best fall slow cooker meals. I hope you’ll enjoy this guest post below!
I’m BonAppeDee, many call me Dee. I’m a city gal who’s utterly in love with all things food. You can check out my website at: www.bonappedee.com and at social media at @BonAppDee
Spicy Chicken Sausage Stew is a savory mixture of potatoes, kale, and spices that’s the perfect seasonal meal for those cool, fall nights. All of the flavors meld together wonderfully to create a delicious one-pot meal that the whole family will enjoy!
Key Ingredients in Spicy Chicken Sausage Stew
- Chicken Sausage: Stew isn’t complete without a protein. I opted for chicken sausage because it tastes great and cooks faster than beef traditionally used in stew.
- Kale: Packs a lot of nutrients and cooks fast; remove the stem and shred leaves into smaller bits so its tender and not chewy.
- Yukon Potatoes: Used to thicken the stew.
- Dijon Mustard: Enriches the color and taste of the stew, adding a spicy/tangy combination.
- Chicken Stock: A natural base for stew; adds moisture, flavor and texture.
- Heavy Cream: Thickens the stew while adding a creamy consistency.
- 1 pk Spicy Chicken Sausage (cut into pieces)
- 1 1/2 cup Yukon Potatoes (diced)
- 1 1/2 cup Kale (ribs removed)
- 1/2 Onion (diced)
- 4 stalks Celery (diced)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Red chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon Sage
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Thyme
- 2-4 cups Chicken broth or chicken stock
- 3 lg Carrot (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt & Pepper to taste (depending on how salty your stock)
- Chop, dice, and measure all your ingredients.
- On medium-high heat, in a medium-large pot or dutch oven, add 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic and cook until slightly softened. Cook over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes, spicy chicken sausage, sage, and let cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add ground cumin and stir.
- Add chili powder and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire and stir.
- Add Dijon Mustard and stir.
- Add heavy cream and stir.
- Add red Chili Flakes and stir.
- Add chicken stock and stir and turn heat to high and bring soup to a boil.
- Add thyme and a pinch of salt and stir. Let it simmer on low for 20-25 mins.
- Simmer soup on low for about 10-15 more minutes. Taste, add salt and pepper if desired.
- Add kale a handful at a time and stir.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
Tune in tomorrow for our next submission in our holiday recipe takeover series hosted by @asiliglamcooks and friends.
P.S. Check out my last recipe here.