This roasted sweet potato and chickpea stew ismade with roasted sweet potatoes, garlic, onions, and carrots that add incredible flavor to the rich tomato and veggie broth
This recipe is a part of a holiday recipe roundup collaboration hosted by me, Natasha of @asiliglamcooks. For this week we are focusing on the best fall stews.
Hey everyone, my name is Chenée and I share baking recipes, easy meals, and tips at CheneeToday.com. And this is one easy meal that you will love for your fall dinners!
This roasted sweet potato and chickpea stew is so simple and easy, it’s vegan and gluten-free, and it’s SO good! It’s made with roasted sweet potatoes, garlic, onions, and carrots that add incredible flavor to the rich tomato and veggie broth.
It’s warm and comforting and filled with chunky caramelized vegetables and hearty chickpeas — and it’s ready in just about 30 minutes! Add to that the hearty chickpeas and a perfect spice blend, and you’ve got your new favorite quick and easy dinner!
I hope you enjoy this stew! You can find all my other recipes at my blog, CheneeToday.com. I’ll see you there!
Roasted Sweet Potato and Chickpea Stew
This roasted sweet potato and chickpea stew is so simple and easy, it’s vegan and gluten free, and it’s SO good! It’s made with roasted sweet potatoes, garlic, onions, and carrots that add incredible flavor to the rich tomato and veggie broth. Add to that the hearty chickpeas and a perfect spice blend, and you’ve got your new favorite quick and easy dinner!
- 3 sweet potatoes (about 1.5 lbs, washed, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 large red onion, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, divided
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped, divided
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 15 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 sprigs flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Spread sweet potato, onion, half of the carrots, and 4 whole cloves of garlic onto a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In the meantime, heat oil over medium heat in a pot or dutch oven.
- Chop remaining garlic and add to the pot, along with celery and remaining carrots. Cook, stirring until slightly softened.
- Add in tomatoes and juice and scrape up brown bits from the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
- Add in chickpeas and spices; stir.
- Add vegetable broth and stir. Bring to a boil and then cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until chickpeas are tender.
- Add roasted vegetables and stir. Cook another 2-4 minutes or until heated through.
- Stir in lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
This recipe is vegan and gluten-free as-is. Feel free to substitute chicken broth or serve with shaved parmesan cheese if you do not follow a vegan and gluten-free diet.
P.S. Check out my last recipe here.