This chicken enchilada chili is inspired by my mom’s chicken enchiladas but with half the work. A little chopping and opening up cans make this chili a cinch to throw together. Packed with chiles chicken, tomatillos, white beans, and spices, this will be your go-to when you need a little warmth in your life
This chicken enchilada chili recipe is a part of a holiday recipe roundup collaboration hosted by me, Natasha of @asiliglamcooks. For this week we are focusing on the best fall stews.
The air is crisp, the leaves are changing colors, and the holidays are right around the corner. It’s fall y’all and time to snuggle up with all things warm and cozy. We’ve all been munching on the flavors of summer but nows the time to indulge in all the hearty warm flavors of fall.
My name is Stefani Renee and I’m the creator of Savor and Sage. I inherited a love of cooking, throwing parties, telling stories, and creating a beautiful lifestyle from my Granny Octavia; Savor and Sage is a celebration of all of those things. My mission is to share soulful inspiration that makes every day more delicious and beautiful and I love to share how soul/southern cooking go far beyond what’s typically portrayed in pop culture. My tribe hails from the South but I’m a Cali girl so my style of cooking is a heavy dose of southern charm and flavor with some California love.
When Natasha invited me to participate in her Best Fall Stews series the first thing that popped in my head was chili! This chili is inspired by my mom’s chicken enchiladas but with half the work. A little chopping and opening up a can or two make this chili a cinch to throw together and super flavorful to boot. Packed with chiles chicken, tomatillos, corn, white beans, and spices, this will be your go-to when you need a little warmth in your life.
Go crazy with toppings! A big warm bowl of this chili is begging for toppings like shredded Monterey or cheddar cheese, crispy tortilla chips, creamy avocado, vibrant green onions, and maybe a little squeeze of lime. Alright, alright enough talking already, let’s cook!
Chicken Enchilada Chili
This chili is inspired by my mom’s chicken enchiladas but with half the work. A little chopping and opening up cans make this chili a cinch to throw together. Packed with chiles chicken, tomatillos, white beans and spices, this will be your go-to when you need a little warmth in your life.
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1 White onion, diced
- 1 Poblano Pepper, seed, and diced
- 2 Jalapeño pepper seeded and diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 3-4 Tomatillos, chopped
- 1-1 1/2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 1(15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) cans great northern beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- ¼ cup of cilantro + more for garnish
- Green onions
- Monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Lime wedges
- Heat the olive oil or butter in a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add in chicken, tomatillos, seasonings, and broth, and simmer. After 10 minutes, remove the chicken and shred using two forks.
- Purée a cup of the beans adding a little broth as needed. Add puréed and whole beans, corn, and shredded chicken to pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and add cilantro, sour cream, and stir until incorporated. Adjust seasoning as needed and serve with desired toppings.
Tune in tomorrow for our next submission for our best fall stew recipe collaboration hosted by @asiliglamcooks and friends.
P.S. Check out my last recipe here.