This buffalo pulled chicken has just the right amount of tang ensuring the perfect combination of flavors in every bite.
This recipe is a part of a holiday recipe roundup collaboration hosted by me, Natasha of @asiliglamcooks. For this week we are focusing on the best fall slow cooker meals.
This buffalo pulled chicken has just the right amount of tang mixed with smooth velvety mashed potatoes ensuring the perfect combination of flavors in every bite.
Guys, I’m back with another guest post that’s perfect for any weeknight meal. Natasha asked me to give her my best slow cooker roundup meal and I thought it couldn’t get any easier (or tastier) than pulled chicken.
I love a good slow cooker recipe because that means the meal practically cooks itself. We’re doing a slight variation on the traditional pulled bbq chicken and making this one buffalo style. We’re amping up the flavor by using boneless, skinless chicken thighs and pairing them with some smooth red mashed potatoes. Serve with your favorite vegetable and you have yourself a complete meal.
Buffalo Pulled Chicken
- 1lb chicken thighs
- ¼ cut onion
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp cayenne
- ⅓ - ½ cup buffalo sauce
- For Mashed potatoes:
- 1lb small red potatoes
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 tbsp butter (or alternative)
- 2 tbsp plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup plain almond milk
- ¼ - ⅓ cup starchy water (from boiling potatoes)
- Optional toppings:
- Chopped chives
- Shredded cheese
- On a lined baking sheet or cutting board, season your chicken thighs and both sides with spices.
- Bring a skillet to medium heat and spray with extra virgin olive oil. Once heated, sear chicken on both sides and remove from pan.
- Transfer chicken into slow cooker and top with onions. Cook on low for 3 - 4 hours or high for 2 - 3 hours (will depend on thickness of chicken)
- Once chicken is cooked through, remove from slow cooker and transfer to a pan. Using 2 forks, shred the chicken thighs. Once shredded, pour the buffalo sauce on top and mix thoroughly.
- Add 1 quart of water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add your chicken bouillon cube and let dissolve.
- While water is boiling, cube your potatoes into fourths. Once water is boiling, add to the water and cook until fork-tender. Once potatoes are tender, drain from the pot reserving about 1 cup of starchy liquid.
- In a separate bowl, add your butter (or alternative), greek yogurt, almond milk and ¼ cup of starchy water. Mix thoroughly until fully combined. If potatoes are not creamy until, add more water until desired creaminess is reached.
- Once your chicken and potatoes are cooked, plate them and top with chopped chives and 2 tbsp of shredded cheese.
If you try this recipe or need other meal prep or recipe inspo, feel free to give me a follow on my social handles: IG @kimabbagehart | TikTok @kimabbagehart or on my Blog www.kimabbagehart.com
Thank you Kim for this delicious recipe. Be sure to tune in tomorrow for our next guest blog post recipe in our slow cooker round-up!
P.S. Check out the last recipe here