Packed with flavor and nutrition this sheet pan garden vegetables and chicken dish is the perfect healthy and satisfying weeknight meal.
I was over at a friend’s house recently and her garden was really a sight to see. I’m talking fresh kale, carrots, peppers, and more all growing abundantly. When we were leaving she gave us our very own bag full of vegetables. I couldn’t wait to taste them because I’m a huge fan of the farm-to-table vibe and I knew these veggies were going to taste delicious. I decided to keep the fresh and beautiful integrity of the vegetables by chopping them up and roasting them with my favorite protein–chicken! That’s how I came up with this gorgeous sheet pan garden vegetables and chicken recipe. It’s simple yet satisfying and most importantly nutritious. Who said eating healthy had to be boring?
Ingredients you’ll need for sheet pan garden vegetables and chicken
You guys know I love a one-pan meal so throwing the veggies on a sheet pan and popping the chicken on top was a no-brainer for me. To make this recipe you can use the exact garden vegetables I had or just use any vegetables you prefer. Just make sure they are varying shades of colors and you’ll have a gorgeous finished product. Here’s what you need to make it:
Carrots of varying colors
Bell peppers of varying colors
Dark meat chicken pieces (wings, thighs, drumsticks)
Kosher Salt+Garlic Pepper
Herb de Provence
Tools you’ll need
Large sheet pan
How to make sheet pan garden vegetables and chicken from scratch
1.Prepare a sheet pan by lining it with parchment paper or spraying it with cooking oil and set aside
2.Chop all your vegetables and combine on the sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and season to taste
3.In a separate bowl, wash and pat dry chicken and season
4.Assemble chicken on top of vegetables and top with garlic butter
5.Bake at 425 degrees until chicken has cooked through and is golden brown and vegetables are fork-tender, about 40-45 minutes for dark meat chicken
Can I use boneless chicken?
Yes, you can but white meat is much leaner and has varying cooking times. Be careful not to dry out the meat as it will cook faster.
Can I use frozen vegetables?
I would not recommend frozen vegetables because they will release a lot of water when cooked and it will end up mushy on the sheet pan.
Can you freeze this meal?
Yes, you can either prepare the meal and portion it out and freeze it uncooked so it’s ready for a quick meal in the future or you can cook it and freeze it and re-heat it at a later date.
More recipes to try
Sheet pan garden vegetables and chicken
- 8 pieces of dark meat chicken
- 8 whole carrots of assorted colors
- 2 bell peppers red and green
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp herbs de provence
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- drizzle of olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- Heat oven to 425 degrees
- Slice and chop vegetables to your liking and assemble on sheet pan
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and massage well
- In a separate bowl, drizzle chicken with olive, season and massage well
- Add chicken on top of vegetables ensuring everything has enough space to make contact with the pan, you don't want the vegetables too close to each other because it will just steam them and not roast
- Bake chicken and vegetables on the top rack, flipping chicken half way through and flip back to skin side the last 10 minutes of cooking for a nice char
- Chicken is done when skin is golden and juices run clear when pierced with a fork. Ensure all the vegetables are fork tender, especially the carrots
If you make this sheet pan garden vegetables and chicken be sure to tag me at @asiliglamcooks on Instagram so that I can re-post.