This month, I partnered with my friends at FoodSaver to share my favorite family recipe. Rasta pasta is something I grew up on and honestly was my first form of alfredo pasta before I even knew that was a thing!
Rasta Pasta is a colorful pasta dish made with a variety of bell peppers, creamy sauce, and Caribbean seasonings. It is often left meatless but you can top it with your favorite protein. My family happens to love salmon so that’s what I’ve paired it with this time. Feel free to swap that out for no meat, chicken, or shrimp.
This pasta is special to me because it’s something my mom would make when I was growing up. When I finally left home for college, I remember calling her to try my hand at her recipe. Over the years, I’ve made my own tweaks to it finally making it my own. This dish will always have a special place in my heart.
The best part of this dish is that it yields quite a few servings and the pasta truly gets better with age. It’s the perfect meal prep recipe and I enjoyed using my FoosSaver Microwavable bags to store the leftovers.
Much like recipes you grew up on, FoodSaver products are reliable and time-tested to keep food fresh, longer. If you meal prep for yourself or your family, the FoodSaver vacuum sealer is a great addition to your kitchen. Save yourself time and money by grabbing the microwavable meal prep bags to meal prep seamlessly. The ventilated bags can go straight from the freezer to the microwave, providing meals in minutes.
I loved cooking this recipe and I hope you enjoy it too, thanks to FoodSaver for sponsoring this post. All opinions are my own.
Creamy Rasta Pasta with Jerk Salmon
- FoodSaver Meal Prep Bags
- 4 salmon filets 3-4 oz each
- 1 tsp of Brown Girl Spice Caribbean Jerk
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of butter
- Fresh chopped parsley and parmesan cheese to serve
- 1 lb of rigatoni pasta
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese plus more to serve
- 1 tbsp of Walkerswood jerk seasoning
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of white sugar *optional
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 sprig of scallion chopped
- 1 small shallot chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
Cook pasta according to package instructions for al dente, reserving 1/4 cup of pasta water for sauce if needed.
- For Salmon
- Pat salmon dry and drizzle with olive oil and Brown Girl Spice Caribbean Jerk seasoning
- In a nonstick skillet, heat olive oil and butter on medium heat
- Add salmon, flesh side down, and sear for 5 minutes, then flip to skin and sear for another 5 minutes
- Remove salmon from pan and set aside
- Remove oil from the pan and wipe clean
- For Sauce
- Drizzle olive oil and add bell peppers, shallot, and scallion and saute for 5 minutes until fragrant and soft
- Add Walkerswood jerk marinade with garlic and stir for another minute to incorporate into veggies
- Add coconut milk and heavy cream and bring to a slight simmer
- Season with spice blend and add cheese
- Add sugar *optional
- Allow sauce to simmer for 5 minutes then turn off heat
- Add cooked pasta to sauce a little at a time stirring to incorporate the sauce evenly
- Allow pasta to marry the sauce for at least 5 minutes before serving (add pasta water here if the sauce is too thick or needs to be stretched to accommodate pasta)
- To serve
- Assemble pasta at the bottom of the plate and then top with salmon
- Add fresh parsley and more parmesan cheese to taste
Check out my last recipe here.