This Buttermilk Paprika Chicken is so good that a friend of mine inspired me to also call it “Keep A Man Chicken”. It REALLY is that incredible. I’m always so shocked that you guys want more chicken recipes because I know so many people who get tired of chicken on a weekly, NOT ME! I love trying to remix a chicken dish and come up with something new. I first learned about the science behind using buttermilk to tenderize chicken from Samin Nosrat on her Netflix Documentary Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat. I was so captivated by the way she made two roasted chickens by using two simple ingredients, salt, and buttermilk.
Now, I know my audience and I know ya’ll are not rocking with just salt and buttermilk so I came up with this combination that I know you guys are going to LOVE it. I’m calling it Buttermilk Paprika Chicken because the smoked paprika is really what steals the show and gives the chicken it’s beautiful color. One downfall of cooking with buttermilk is that sometimes you lose that gorgeous brown color all over when you roast the chicken. However, seasoning the chicken after it comes out of the buttermilk brine will ensure you get a gorgeous finish and chicken so tender and juicy you’re just not going to know what to do with yourself.
Smoked paprika is such an underrated seasoning. I feel like a lot of people know about regular ol paprika but I’m telling you now, elevate your paprika game and splurge on the smoked one, and thank me later.
Ok, enough talking, let’s get right into this Buttermilk Paprika Chicken aka Keep A Man Chicken! Enjoy!
For Buttermilk Brine
- 1 lb of dark meat pieces (All wings if you prefer)
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tbsp of kosher salt
To Roast Chicken
- 1 1/2 tsp of onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp of poultry seasoning like Brown Girl Spice Asili Glam Blend
- 1 tbsp of smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp of softened unsalted butter
- A drizzle of olive oil
- Brine chicken overnight by putting chicken pieces in a gallon-sized ziplock bag and pour buttermilk over the chicken in the bag. Add salt, close the bag and shake to incorporate.
- Marinate chicken overnight.
- Bring chicken to room temperature and assemble in a baking dish.
- Use a paper towel to pat dry excess buttermilk off chicken pieces.
- Rub softened butter all over chicken pieces until lightly coated.
- Drizzle top of chicken with olive oil and proceed to season.
- Season chicken liberally with garlic powder, onion powder, poultry seasoning, and smoked paprika. Ensuring you season both sides of the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Bake chicken for 45 minutes flipping half way through.
- Flip the chicken back to skin side up and broil on high until the skin is crispy and golden.
- Remove chicken from the oven and use a spoon to baste with the pan drippings.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.